Monday, November 07, 2005

I wanted to hit Maureen Dowd...

Erin sent me this link last Monday to Maureen Dowd's new book excerpt in NY Times Magazine. When I first saw the title ('What's a Modern Girl to Do?'), I was kind of excited "Oh! She's going to evaluate the state of feminism today..." So so wrong. It was a depressing read on top of an already depressing day (Scalito hasn't won me over quite yet, but I'll have to ask my husband's permission to form an opinion on him). As I first read it, a hopeless feeling washed over me. The second time I read it, I got really really pissed off. She repeatedly relayed personal anecdotes and turned those into blanket truths about the current state of feminism and its (apparently) negative impact on modern men and women. Gooo! Made me mad.

So today, still rolling the anger around in my head, I stumbled on a large number of honest, thoughtful, and sometimes saucy responses to Dowd's excerpt. It feels good to know that other women/feminists/sassafrasses were as pissed off by what she wrote as I was. Last week I wanted to hit Maureen Dowd. This week I roll my eyes at her, but I still love that damned column of hers. Her November 5th comparison of the Bush Administration to the catty girls in "Heathers" and "Mean Girls" was brazilliant.

Also, there is a huge article about Sarah Silverman in this week's Rolling Stone. Click on the link. You absolutely have to read it. She blows my mind. After reading the story, I kind of wish I could be her (but without having to sleep with Jimmy Kimmel).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maureen moved into my domicle of love. she spends her days barefoot in the kitchen, with her hair in curlers. the feminist backlash is a direct, and narrowly tailored result of the dishes not being done.

9:53 AM, November 08, 2005  
Blogger Julia said...

At least you've found something that will shut her pie hole. Mexican Peter North via Houston, TX - you have served your country in the most noble of ways.

11:34 PM, November 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home