Tuesday, August 01, 2006

We sit here stranded, though we're all doin' our best to deny it

You know what I did last night while the rest of the world slept? Tossed and turned. Tossed and turned. For hours. Then I woke up at sunrise. And I'm still awake. And I'm no longer tired. And its so lame and bizarre that I'm blogging about it.

Are there people still alive today who look like George Peppard did in Breakfast at Tiffany's? Where do they live? New York? Mars? Can I move next door to them? Will they age as gracefully as ol' George? Swoon. It must have been his raging alcoholism that made him sexy.






"I hope you don't mind, darling. I Irished up your coffee for you. So did I ever tell you about the time in 1972, when a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit...?"


Breakfast with Peppard.

Double swoon.

B.A. Baracus is about due to make a comeback. Why can't they reunite the A-Team for one memorable 2-hour special? Who can make this happen? TVLand? The 700 Club? The ghost of George Peppard? I'm sure that Face is still alive, too. He probably needs the work.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katy said...

PUH-LEASE, i love that movie with my whole heartbut Frankie-baby was a slacker. He was a writer that didn't write (look ma, no typewriter ribbon!) and was supported by his adultress interior decorator. Sounds exactly like fellas I know. Except George Peppard is YO hotter than the slackers I know, you're right about that part.

9:33 AM, August 01, 2006  
Blogger Julia said...

Oh yeah, he was a whore alright... but he had such a pretty, pretty face.

Damn those pretty faces. Damn that Peppard!

We must talk Sarah Vowell tonight. I'll let you borrow Take the Cannoli when I unpack it. Scratch that. If I unpack it.

10:19 AM, August 01, 2006  
Blogger Daniel Mollenkamp said...

The only thing I remember about that movie is the outrageously racist (by today's standards) performance by Mickey Rooney in the role of an Asian man with buck teeth and coke-bottle glasses. They don't make 'em like that anymore--movies I mean, not Asians. I don't think they ever made Asians that way. They being the people who make Asians. "Other Asians" I think they're called.
A few years ago there was talk of a big screen A-Team movie, with Mel Gibson in the Peppard role. Which, in light of his recent anti-semitism, brings us back to racism. And racism was in Footloose with...Kevin Bacon! I win!
Okay, there wasn't really racism in Footloose...or was there? What if I told you that the original script featured an all black cast, but they refused to hire them? Sure I'd be lying, but that doesn't make it any less racist.

10:52 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger Julia said...

While it may have seemed a little over the top, Mickey Rooney was simply reflecting the American public's distrust and anger with the Japanese citizenry in the immediate aftermath of Pearl Harbor.

Oh wait.

This movie was made in 1961.

There's not even a rational explanation for tacking on a completely stereotypical character who wasn't even part of the book.

Damn, Little Mickey, that coke-bottle glasses, buck teeth shit is HARSH!

Kevin Bacon is a racist, so I got you beat in just one step.

3:56 PM, August 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home