Thursday, February 23, 2006

Everyone wants to be wanted.

Feeling too down/run down/down & out in Beverly Hills to form coherent phrases and structure at the moment. I've been in a funk in the past few days. Not sure if it's a product of stress or exigent circumstances. So if you see me scowling, don't hesitate to come and talk to me. I'm not mad, I'm just... off? My thoughts:

1. Whatever happened to friendship bracelets? At what point did they stop being cool? I know I spent hours upon hours in 3rd thru 5th grade making these things. When did I stop making them? WHY?!?! Needless to say, expect to see some friendship bracelets comin' atcha in due time. If you want to start up a friendship bracelet-making club, we can do that too.

2. How does Hunvald expect us to learn when he never answers any of his own questions? Socratic method only goes so far.

3. I went to Walgreens to buy some food and vitamins and such. While I was there, I wanted to find something to make me happy. No candy. No make-up. No magazines. I finally stopped in the toy aisle. I needed something great to start my day (not just good, great). I found it. A $2.99 Duncan Imperial Yo-Yo. Let me just say that I've never been proficient at the yo-yo. I get too worked up over it and my muscles freak out. BUT -- there were directions on the back of this package. Step-by-step, Duncan showed me how to master their yo-yo. I'm still working on it, but I'm much better than I was at age 12. Maybe my day is making a turn for the best. Maybe I'll end up joining "The Duncan Crew." Because it really does exist. The Simpsons knew more than I realized.

4. Why don't they offer night school law school at Mizzou? If you're reading this Dean Dessem {and I know you are} -- please create some night school classes at your convenience. It would really make me happy.

PS for kids who grew up in the St. Louis area: Remember that kickass amazing Night School commercial from the mid 80's? It had a song --- "Niiight School / Talkin' bout Night School / Gonna {something something} / and go to Niiight Schoool" I'll sing it for you. That song is burned on my brain. Even if the lyrics escape me.

5. Why am I numbering?

6. I feel like I'm losing touch with who I am. I spent 30 minutes picking out an outfit to wear today. I feel like my brain is being simultaneously controlled by an ultra-nerd with crippling social awkwardness (also a recent development) and a 16 year old Junior Miss whose obsession with being attractive is becoming a problem.

Regardless, I'm in a weird state. A yo-yo was the only thing in Walgreens that made me happy. A yo-yo. Maybe I should start smoking cigarettes again. It would be like a hobby, right?
Cancer hobby.


PS - Right now, Dale Whitman is my hero.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were the lyrics of the "night school" song put against the melody of Night Moves by Bob Seger?

2:03 PM, February 24, 2006  
Blogger Julia said...

I wish! Bog Seger could turn any adult education commercial into musical GOLD.

The song sounded more like a rip off of a 1970's Broadway Cabaret-like smash hit.


Again, I can sing it upon request...
but due to the overwhelming response it now costs $5.

4:46 PM, February 24, 2006  
Blogger Plump and Jewcy said...

I think "Night School" must have been national. I am trying to search for an MP3/Youtube/Whatevs version as I used to hear it every night in Minneapolis.

9:06 AM, August 05, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home